Tuesday, January 1, 2008

August 29, 2007 10am - Invasion of the midwives

Around ten in the morning Jeanne arrived with her two assistants and we got ready for a home birth. This is another thing that I wasn't too sure that I wanted, mostly because it meant keeping the house clean enough for company for an extended period of time. I also had fears of something going wrong and the closest hospital being half an hour away but the chances of that happening in real life (as opposed to television) are pretty slim. And if something does go wrong, the chances of it being serious enough to warrant immediate medical attention are even slimmer.

And so our house got filled with an inflatable tub, a giant exercise ball, and all matter of weird birthing paraphernalia. I think we ended up using most of them, unfortunately, in the course of the day.

And what a day is was. Kristin's contractions got stronger and stronger. Jeanne probably thought I was being heartless because I didn't help my wife during these moments, but I knew better. When Kristin's got an unpleasant task ahead of her she likes to focus on it and shut out the world. So whenever a contraction hit Jeanne would say things like "buck up" and "you can do it" and I'd do my best to keep Kristin away from anything that could be used as a weapon.

No comments: