Wednesday, May 28, 2008

priorities

There are moments in your life when you realize with horror that you are growing up. For me, the first time was when I was a teenager and had an actual adult conversation with my mother. Another time was when I was happy to get socks for Christmas.

We recently moved to a new place, and usually for me the computer is the last thing to pack and the first thing to reassemble. This time, however, the poor computer had to wait in line behind the kitchen so I could make Simon oatmeal and yams, the washer and dryer so I could wash dirty diapers, and his toys so he could have something to play with. It's three days later and I'm finally getting around to plugging the computer in, after a full day of work, cleaning, and unpacking.

To make matters worse, instead of playing some World of Warcraft I'm wasting time writing a fathering blog!

2 comments:

John Goodrich said...

World of Warcraft only gives you virtual experience points. Time with your son and a blog give you real world experiences.

Yeah, when did that change happen?

The Beast said...

Actually, it gets worse than that. A few years ago I did a lot of dietary experimentation to determine why I had stomach issues, eventually to deduce that I was lactose intolerant.

This knowledge served me well when my mother started having dietary issues of her own. Advising her on the use and benefits of Metamucil pushed me over into Old Man territory.