Friday, December 12, 2008

Enunciate!

I'm pretty sure I know how toddlers develop their language skills. At some point the parents give up trying to interpret each and every monosyllabic utterance and vague gesture and just shrug. The child, finally realizing that the cushy lifestyle is over, decides it's time to actually put two words together. I've gone from having a near telepathic link with my son to just looking at him blankly, and he's learned that if he wants to play with his Legos he'd better damn well learn how to say the word "Lego." (Not that he's learned to say it yet, but he's on his way.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, some of us understand perfectly! When I yawned during the 8th reading of Curious George Wears a Costume, Simon was quick to tell me it was okay if I wanted to take a nap as there were plenty of beds upstairs!